ca. 900–1100 AD. Byzantine. A hefty, mould-formed pottery hand grenade with an acorn-shaped body, a rounded shoulder, and a narrow mouth. The shoulder is decorated with a horizontal band of concentric circles. Grenades like this were meant to hold the famed and highly combustible substance known as “Greek fire”; though its exact composition is unknow, scholars posit that the mixture was made of pine resin, naphtha, quicklime, and sulphur; custom-made stand included.
Size: L:88mm / W:74mm ; 379g
Provenance: From a UK, Oxfordshire collection. Formerly acquired in Europe on the 1990s.